Ihre Browserversion ist veraltet. Wir empfehlen, Ihren Browser auf die neueste Version zu aktualisieren.

Lil' Cookie


Lil' CookieLil' CookieB-24H-1-FO #42-7552 Lil’ Cookie, assembly ship of the 489th BG. Halesworth, August 1944. Originally assigned to the 576th BS / 392nd BG as B the aircraft was transferred before any combat mission to the 66th BS / 44th BG and coded as K, before later being sent to the 67th BS as NB●A. Sometime in mid-1944 the war-weary Lil’ Cookie was obtained by the 489th BG to become the group’s ‘Zebra forming plane’. It was lightened by dismantling its turrets and on both sides of the fuselage navigational lights were fixed to create the letter ‘W’ along with a modified rear section carrying the cruciform signal lamp array. Initially, Lil’ Cookie retained its original camouflage, except for the front and end fuselage sections that were painted Honey Yellow, as were the engine cowlings. The original nose art and the squadron code letters of the previous user NB were left unchanged. The outer vertical tails surfaces were painted green with a white vertical stripe (the markings of the 489th BG) with a black Z within. After the aircraft’s first flight as a ‘rendezvous ship’ it turned out that it needed to distinguish itself further. Consequently all surfaces, except the wing undersurfaces, were painted in yellow polka dots.